Saturday, February 07, 2009

Scalloped Borders

i told a friend that i would scallop her border for her.
it really makes a big difference.
anyways, since i was doing it, i thought i'd make up a tutorial for it.
(please keep in mind that i've NEVER done a tutorial and i am lacking sleep.)

i always start with a trimmed quilt.
and i always start with the top and bottom of the quilt.
so fold your quilt in half and measure.
this quilt measured 52 x 60.
now you need to make (or find) a template. usually, a scallop for this size quilt is anywhere between 7 - 9 inches in diameter. divide your quilt measurements by numbers within that range until you are able to get close to a whole number.
for example: i found that 52 % 8.5 was pretty close to 6 and 60 % 8.5 was really close to 7.
which will give me 6 scallops on Align Centerthe top & bottom and 7 scallops on the sides.
next you need to make a template. if you have a compass you can easily make your circle...
if not you can use my ancient method.
using your ruler, draw a vertical line (in my case, 8 1/2 inches) mark your center point.
lining up your ruler with the vertical line and keeping it centered, draw a horizontal line.
continue drawing lines until you feel comfortable free handing a circle. cut out your circle, and wah-la you have your template!

starting with the folded side, place your the center of your template along the fold and trace the pattern. next, place your template on the opposite corner and trace.

continue to trace your pattern until you have a continous scalloped pattern.

in my case, i will end up with 6 scallops like i calculated in the beginning.
keeping the quilt folded, cut along the scalloped line.
this will now become your pattern for the bottom border. fold the quilt in half and cut along the pre-cut edge.

yeah! th top and bottom borders are done. now repeat the above steps to scallop the side borders.
now the binding! just a couple tips. i make my binding from 1 1/2 inch bias strips and i start my binding on one of the four corners.
when you get to the corner, be careful to get that fold of fabric out of the way.
i stop right about here (see picture above). lift up presser foot and turn quilt.
i usually use my awl to keep the fabric away from the needle. (i couldn't find it today)
with my right hand, i pull the fabric back and away, lower my pressure foot and continue.
when your all done, you'll have a beautiful quilt!
i hope this made sense and your able to use it.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I don't quilt but just love looking at yours...the quilt turned out just beautiful:)
Rondell

Jeanette said...

The scalloped border does make a huge difference! You friend should be really happy with it.

Lynda said...

You make it look so easy, but I know for a novice like me it's not!! It's beautiful, and your friend is so fortunate to have such a great quilter to lend a hand.

Thimbleanna said...

That's awesome Julie, Thanks! I'll be needing this in a few months (I hope!) Little piddly crochet has nothing on you!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that quilt. Great job

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That quilt is so cute. I love those scalloped borders! I am going to send it over to my mom - she loves to quilt and I don't think she has ever done these.

Thanks!

Jen

Unknown said...

AMAZING! SO Excited to try this !

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Donna Thornock

Granny to 24 said...

I really like this. I am a beginner at quilting but would like to try this.

Unknown said...

Love scallops. I suggest you attach the binding before cutting.